27 May Preparing For Your Child Custody Case
More often than not, child custody battles remain a central component of a divorce. When in the midst of a child custody dispute, the most important thing to think of is your children. Whatever the situation and whatever your reason for fighting over custody, understand that every decision needs to be made with your children’s best interests in mind.
The 5 tips below should help you navigate this overwhelming process:
- Be active in their lives and attend school activities such as parent teacher conferences, assemblies, school plays and school musicals. Staying involved and showing to the teachers and staff that you are making an effort goes a long way. Not only that, but it shows your kids that you want to be involved.
- Keep records of activities you attend and do with your children. Having those records for when you go through the process is important so you can show that you have been involved and you want to continue to be involved.
- If you don’t already, prepare a space for the child in your home. When a custody battle between parents is going on, it certainly isn’t an easy time for the kids. Ensuring that they feel comfortable and at home when they are with you makes all the difference.
- Maintain an appropriate lifestyle and suitable home environment. During this time, parents are under a microscope, and everything they do is important. Making sure that you have a safe and comfortable environment for your child helps sway things your way, allowing you to potentially gain custody.
- Support your kids. This being the most important tip of this whole process. Like stated before, this is not an easy time for your children. Support them and do everything you can to make them feel comfortable and supported. There isn’t much worse than fighting this battle and forgetting what you’re fighting for.